Friday, July 5, 2019

Mrs. Peasant's Diary for Friday, July 5, 2019


I'm trying more personal unpolished posts called Mrs. Peasant's Diary. These posts will be pictures, songs, ramblings, and little random thoughts to share. I hope this will be an enjoyable addition and easier on my newly scattered brain. 

GARDEN UPDATE:

BEFORE: January


Here in South Carolina, it is hot with random days of scattered thunderstorms. It is either 90 plus degrees outside or awful thunderstorms with scary wind gusts. I'm talking taking down trees and tornado strength wind gusts. I'm from Florida, home of the hurricane, and these winds shocked me! So, our container garden suffers from being either extremely dry or extremely overwatered. Honestly, I have pretty low expectations for food production on our apartment balcony. It's more of a learning tool as we continue to dream of a yard. I get fresh cut flowers, green onions, raspberry leaves, and herbs. Anything else is a bonus.

AFTER: July

This is the second year for my echinacea from seed which finally bloomed!

LEMONGRASS AND GINGER FROM THE GROCERY STORE were a success!

Both the ginger and the lemongrass were sprouted from organic pieces I bought at the grocery store. I'm very excited that they are happy being in one gallon buckets from the Dollar Tree. Two happy plants and cheap. 

Clockwise bottom left: two Brussel sprouts, ginger, sage, raspberry,
blue bucket zucchini, another zucchini and lemongrass.

ZUCCHINI IN POTS- STILL NOTHING.

This is when apartment gardening is still so inferior to actually having ground. I thought for sure zucchini would be an easy heavy producing plant. I mean people are always giving away the excess bounty of zucchini! Alas, not here at our "apartment homestead." (I say that sarcastically since I find it impossible to do.) I have been waiting for a female flower to come. Finally, after 20 male flowers, there was ONE slowly opening female bloom. I laid in wait for her bloom to finally open keeping a Q-tip on the window sill by the door. It felt as creepy as it sounds, but finally, I pollinated her. Well, I thought I did.  Days later the tiny zucchini bodied bloom withered up and died. So we are still waiting for the bounty. Two huge plants in 5 gallon buckets, tons of blooms and not a female in sight. I'll keep you posted.


AS WE REPEAT OURSELVES OR WEIRD HISTORY THAT MATTERS NOW


As I read my county paper's crime report page in my small town, I am confronted by the sharp rise in lawlessness. Obviously law and order and civility and Christianity is declining and in it's place disorder brews. This isn't new. Excerpts from wikipedia on the American Frontier:


Banditry was a major issue in California after 1849, as thousands of young men detached from family or community moved into a land with few law enforcement mechanisms. To combat this, the San Francisco Committee of Vigilance was established to give drumhead trials and death sentences to well-known offenders.

When outlaw gangs were near, towns would occasionally raise a posse to drive them out or capture them.

Similar vigilance committees also existed in Texas, and their main objective was to stamp out lawlessness and rid communities of desperadoes and rustlers. These committees would sometimes form mob rule for private vigilante groups, but usually were made up of responsible citizens who wanted only to maintain order. Criminals caught by these vigilance committees were treated cruelly; often hung or shot without any form of trial.

Feuds involving families and bloodlines also occurred much in the frontier. Since private agencies and vigilance committees were the substitute for proper courts, many families initially depended on themselves and their communities for their security and justice.

JULY 4TH

We celebrated Independence Day with our traditional junk food meal of Vegan Hot dogs, BBQ potato chips, and baked beans. This is Mr. Peasant's favorite. We only eat this meal twice a year--Memorial day and the 4th of July. Happy Birthday, America! We watched the INCREDIBLE fireworks show in DC online. I thought to myself during the show that the soundtrack to 4th of July fireworks might be the only classical music people will listen to the entire year. Sad. 







WORTH A LISTEN

Lock The Gates by Martin Hall

Battle Hymn of the Republic by the Army Chorus

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me.
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Our God is marching on.

BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC


I hope you all are staying safe and enjoying the holiday weekend. To all the heroes who have fought for our freedom, we love you. Thank you for reading and God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment