Friday, November 23, 2018

Frugal Tactics: Ask Yourself, Can I Do Anything With This?


His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’
MATTHEW 25:20

Before you throw anything away, ask yourself a question. Can I do anything with this?

A food container, a jar, an overripe apple, a sliver of soap in the tub, a dish of leftovers in the fridge. A piece of fabric, a holey sock, a shampoo you hate, a stained shirt, half an onion from yesterday.

Ask yourself, can I do anything with this?

Can I eat it today?

Can I freeze it for later?

Can I give it to someone who can use it?

Can I mend it?

Can I rip it into rags?

Can I use it in a different way?

Can it be transformed into something else?

If you can't come up with anything on your own, do a quick google search. I can't count how many new ideas I've gotten and how much money I've saved just by searching for a new use for an item I was going to throw away..

I've made delicious quick breads with the 1/4 cup of cranberry sauce left over from Thanksgiving.

I've insulated our windows in the winter with the bubble wrap from our Amazon orders.

I made cloth napkins from old plaid shirts and rags from really worn t-shirts.

I've turned my old scrub pants from my hospital job into comfy Capri pants by cutting them.

I dried orange peels to simmer with cinnamon sticks and cloves on the stove this winter. I never knew of that idea until I googled "What to do with orange peels?".

I am not advocating saving everything or hoarding. But I do believe that being mindful of what you have and using it up if possible is wise. Lets be good stewards of the little things.

Thank you for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment