Monday, November 12, 2018

I've Got Corporate Trust Issues



I found a piece of glass in my bowl of spaghetti dinner last night. Thank God I didn't eat it. Of course I have no clue whether we ate any smaller pieces. We ate it Sunday and then Monday night leftovers. First, I went into the trash to check the jar and the jar itself was not cracked or chipped. I went through all my drinking glasses- thinking maybe I broke a glass. I didn't find any chipped drinking glasses. The piece looks like the rim of a jar, about an inch long, with some threading and curved. Again, the sauce jar I opened and dumped into the pasta pot was not chipped or cracked. I am concerned. Our meal consisted of a box of noodles and then I dumped the sauce into the pot and stirred. I can't think of any other way the glass shard got into my dish.  I wanted to let you know. I would hate to find out anyone got harmed by swallowing glass and I didn't say anything. This has killed the possibility of ever buying your products again. I've never contacted a company before. I just want a clear conscience.
submitted to the Ragu complaint website 9/4/2018

I don't know the ramifications of swallowing a one inch piece of curved glass. I can't even google it. I would rather not know. I imagine the sound of biting down on glass and then I stop myself. I can't imagine its destruction would be minimal as it slides and slices through my soft digestion track. Or what if it tore my ass? We could've played detective at the ER with our 3500 dollar deductible PLUS picking up another 40% of the remaining tab of a glass shard bender. All of this over a $1.50 pasta sauce.  I'm shaken up. I never thought my spaghetti sauce could kill me. It opens up an entire new level of trust issues. Can there be trust between a huge corporation and consumers?

The self-driving car future. The robot factory future. The anti-well-paying-factory guy who took pride in his work and who retired after working there 25 years future.  Sounds like we'll be eating a lot of glass, folks.


P.S. Does anyone have a good marinara recipe?

UPDATE: I waited to publish this in order to see the process through. The company contacted me quickly and paid a courier service to pick up my jar and glass piece within three days. I was told by the Consumer Engagement Team that they would investigate. They apologized in a generic letter that was unsigned. They enclosed three coupons for free pasta sauce for my inconvenience. As of today, no recall as been declared. Perhaps my jar was the only one with glass? My experience with the company was very professional, but I still can't shake the thought of how easily and often this must happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment