Monday, August 5, 2019

Mrs. P's Vegan Pierogi Casserole

Come to me, all you that labour, and are burdened, 
and I will refresh you.
Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, 
because I am meek, and humble of heart: 
and you shall find rest to your souls.
For my yoke is sweet and my burden light.
MATTHEW 11:28 & 30

I grew up on pan fried Ms. T's pierogies smothered with butter and caramelized onions. Those cheap frozen pierogies remind me of my father. It's one of my top comfort foods. I was determined to make a vegan version of my childhood favorite but rolling the dough and stuffing them seemed painfully complex. Enter my Vegan Pierogi casserole recipe created with equal parts laziness and desperation. The reason I've never posted this recipe is because I make it up different each time. If I actually wrote the recipe as I make it, it would go something like this:

Largely dice and boil whatever amount of potatoes you need to get rid of, 
Slice the left over half an onion in the fridge from yesterday plus another onion.
Boil the remaining 8-10 lasagna noodles from when you opened the box two months ago.

See what I mean? It's a cleaning up the fridge kind of dish. But that is the beauty of this recipe. It's definitely not fussy. If you don't like the idea of skins being in the mashed potatoes peel them. Add more or less of any seasoning you want. Add more potato, or less onion or throw in cheese or chives?

VEGAN PIEROGI CASSEROLE:

Serves 6

For potato mixture*:

8 medium Potatoes cubed with skins** (Red, Yellow or Russet)
1/4 cup Water
1/2 tsp of Salt
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 Cup of Nutritional Yeast
2 TB Earth Balance buttery spread

8 Lasagna Noodles (cooked as directed on box, and cooled)
1 large onion sliced
1/4 tsp salt
2 TB Earth Balance buttery spread

* or roughly 4 1/2 cups Mashed Potatoes
**You will need at least 6 cups of largely cubed potatoes. You may also peel them if you prefer.

1. Bring large pot of water to a rolling boil. Dip your bowl of potato cubes into the water and carefully slide them into the pot. Boil potatoes for 30 minutes or until soft.

2. Put 2 TB of Butter, the sliced onion and 1/4 tsp of salt into a small pot on medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned.

3. Carefully drain the hot water from potatoes and return the potatoes back into the pot. Add water, 1/2 tsp of Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Nutritional Yeast and 2 TB butter into the pot with potatoes. Mash with potato masher until all seasonings are well combined and mostly smooth. The potato mixture will still have lumps.

4. Prepare lasagna noodles as directed on the box. Cool off the noodles so they are easy to handle.

5. Preheat oven 350 degrees.

6. Take a greased 9 x 12 pan and place 4 noodles across the bottom.

7. Take 1/2 the potato mixture and place spoonfuls of the mixture on top of the noodle layer. Distribute evenly and then mash down the layer until it is smooth.

8. Take 1/2 the browned onions and place them evenly on top of the potato layer.

9. Now with the remaining ingredients layer it again: 4 noodles, rest of potato mixture, and onions.

10. Cover pan with tin foil and cook for 20 minutes. Remove foil and cover for an additional 10 minutes. Serve Hot.

















And if you like this recipe, Do me a small favor say a quick prayer for my Dad. Thank you!

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord; 
And let perpetual light shine upon them. 
May they rest in peace. 
Amen

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and not too hard to make. Love it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I really hope you try it. It's really good! Thank you so much for reading!-Mrs. P

      Delete