Saturday, September 22, 2018

Gleaning


When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Do not go over your vineyard a second time or pick up the grapes that have fallen. Leave them for the poor and the foreigner. I am the Lord your God.
LEVITICUS 19:9-10


I have a part time, low wage, 3 month position at the Voter Registration office. It is a temporary sacrifice we are doing for extra money toward a house. At my job, the word is out that I will take any fruits and vegetables that nobody wants. In the past three months I have gotten 7 pounds of zucchini, an entire fresh pineapple, 4 peaches, 3 cucumbers, 2 yellow squash, and a gallon bag of boiled peanuts. I was given a grocery bag full of okra yesterday. I've never cooked okra before, and it's not my favorite vegetable. I was about to refuse it, and then I thought no. When given fresh garden grown free food, your answer should be yes and thank you.

In this modern life our "village" is based more on social interactions then geography. Modern gleaning is a lot easier than in biblical times. You don't even have to pick it from the field. Most likely gleaning today will look like your co-worker bringing her excess garden zucchinis or a store bought pineapple that's about to go bad. Take it. Be humble. Thank them for their kindness and find a use for it. Remember to wash and quickly return any plastic containers back to the giver. Then be sure to tell them how much you enjoyed eating it.

Most of the food I received had to be processed immediately. The overripe peaches and pineapple were made into a sorbet as soon as I got home. The 7 pounds of extra zucchini were processed and frozen into 30 "crab cakes." I put the boiled peanuts in the freezer for a later snack. After some Google searching, I found an easy recipe for okra and tomatoes. I made a pot of it to have over rice this week for cheap lunches. Then I froze a sandwich bag worth of remaining okra slices to use later in a soup. With the internet you can always find a use for gifted produce. That is really what they are- -gifts of excess.

It's easy for the word to get out among your circle that you are open to unwanted produce. All you have to do is say yes and show gratitude if someone offers you produce. It's that simple.  Be sure to ask around when you have any unwanted food to give away. And get creative about processing food that's about to go bad. Freeze, dehydrate, cook, eat today, or give it away. It is an amazing circle of good will to be blessed with a bountiful harvest, to bless someone else with the excess and to thank someone for their thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment