Monday, September 2, 2019

Mrs. Peasant's Diary for Monday, September 2, 2019


THE TEA HARVEST

Unfortunately, I waited too long to gather my Jiaogulan. I tend to be so timid about pruning and cutting that I forget to harvest! That in itself is a lesson. I spent all this time planning, sprouting seeds, watering, tending and then miss actually ENJOYING the fruit. So, I decided to Edward Scissor Hands the rest of my garden to make up for it. I harvested the ginger and lemongrass that were started from pieces I bought at the grocery store back in December. Not too bad for the two dollar investment! I also picked a bunch of Spearmint, Sage, and Raspberry leaves.

GINGER, LEMON GRASS, AND JIAOGULAN

Apartment patio homestead

Grow Ginger in gallon bucket

Apartment patio lemongrass harvest

grow lemongrass from grocery store bought

Apartment homestead tea

SAGE, SPEARMINT, AND RASPBERRY LEAVES

Apartment homestead grow your own tea

Grow your own tea Apartment

Dry herbs with a hanging clothes dryer

Dry tea apartment homestead

home made tea container

They say you have to bloom where you're planted. So, I figured container gardening would help make us more self sufficient. But who are we kidding? The apartment balcony isn't going to feed you much. I've tried growing vegetables frugally for seven years. I can honestly say our apartment garden has only two glowing areas- tea plants and onions. Come over when SHTF, and I can make you a cup of tea as we cry over the end. I've got 20 pounds of noodles, too. Seriously, come by. We can live on tea, noodles with onions, and love.

GARDEN UPDATE: NOT ONE ZUCCHINI.

Apartment growing tea

AVOCADO TREE

Take a look at my lovely 2 foot avocado tree I started from a pit. It reminds me of a fiddle leaf fig tree. It's more like a blend of fiddle leaf fig and a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. And since it may take 3-4 years to fruit, why not admire it as a frugal decorative tree?

cheap decorative tree apartment


FREE FALL CRAFT- ONION SKIN DYEING

As I was eating through my freezer, I found a forgotten ziplock bag full of onion skins. Before Mr. Peasant's accident, I was saving onion skins to use for dyeing. I was VERY tempted to just throw them away as it all seemed unimportant now. But I'm glad I pushed through the blahs and did it. I took two dumpy old cotton kitchen towels (one Ikea/ one Walmart flour sack), two handfuls of yellow onion skins, and this post for directions. Both towels are 100% percent cotton and you can see the huge color variations. I believe that it will turn any towel a yellow, orange, or tan color which is accidentally the perfect color palate for fall. If you'd like to make an old crappy stained towel warm and autumn-y, go for it. But keep an open mind in terms of color. I did keep them in the dye for 4 hours each. I washed the dyed towels in hot water and detergent in the sink twice. The color seemed to stay! I photographed the towels in different lighting, so you can assess the color.

Fall craft natural dyeing onion skins

Onion skin dyeing cotton
Color of dye bath from 2 handfuls of Yellow Onions

Dyeing cotton with yellow onion skins

kitchen towel dyeing with yellow onion skins

Yellow onion skins dyeing

Cotton towels dyed with yellow onion skins
Towels against a white background.

Cotton Ikea towel dyed with yellow onion skins
 Ikea towel next to dyed Ikea towel.

Cotton dyed with onion skins before and after
Walmart flour sack towel next to a dyed towel.

Dyeing old towels with onion skins
Dyed towels in the sunlight. 

before and after cotton onion skin dyeing
Dyed towels next to originals in normal kitchen lighting.

PRAYERS AS GIFTS

Mr. Peasant and I have created a new routine of nightly prayers and scripture readings. We have been helped immensely by this in our battle with despair and exhaustion. Our life since Mr. Peasant's accident is unrecognizable to how it was before. I forgot to update the 2019 calendar with birthdays, and I've failed horribly at remembering really important people's birthdays this year. I'm limited in money, energy, and creativity; so I have been offering my nightly rosary up for each person whose birthday was in August-- Lady A, Mrs. Seaux, Lady S, Little M and the Knight. I spent time praising God for putting each one of them into my life. I prayed for peace, protection, joy and asked for blessings that were specific to each one of their needs. God can do ALL things. I trust Mary will pray for them, and the Lord will answer my prayers for them.

WORTH A LISTEN

Alabama Shakes is an incredible soul meets southern rock band. This song has just enough grit to help you keep pushing through. It's the perfect song to listen to while eating an elephant one bite at a time.

Hold On

Lord please keep everyone safe in Florida where my family and friends are. We are praying for everyone in the Bahamas, Georgia and South Carolina. This hurricane track is all over the place! Praying for everyone's safety, and that the Lord cover us with his peace.  Lastly, please pray for healing and strength for Mr. Peasant as he continues to fight for recovery. Thank you for reading and your prayers. God be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment